Home Mobilisation Embarkation Dunkirk Battle of Britain Convoy Desert War Italy Demob
To Arms!
About Top Next
Corporal Roy Middleton, 221 Field Company, Royal Engineers (20 July 1915 - 8 January 2008)
One Man’s War 1939 -1945
in his own words
TIMELINE  (Roy’s war in a nutshell)

October 1938
Joined Territorial Army, Royal Engineers, Motor Transport section.  Driving lorries and escort motorcycles.
September 1939
Mobilisation into Regular Army. War declared. Became a lance-corporal and given a new commandeered motorcycle.  18th went to France with the British Expeditionary Force. Lost stripe for failing to mount guard on vehicles.
Winter 1939
Moved around France and Belgium constructing defences and hospitals. Regained stripe. Lived in cow shed during coldest winter for many years.
May 1940
Germans invaded Belgium. BEF began retreat. Got blown off motorcycle by exploding bridge. Got lost with the Company rations for three days amongst refugees and dive bombers. Retreated to Dunkirk. Spent two days on beach being bombed and shot at. Bomb dropped in centre of my group destroying our radio but sinking in sand before exploding, injuring nobody. Found a dinghy and floated out to waiting destroyer. Given plate of  sandwiches and woke up in Dover.
Summer 1940
Battle of Britain. On exercise in various parts of the UK. Helped at RAF Manston pulling destroyed Spitfires out of hangar roofs.
On exercises in the UK. December, married Mary, a sergeant in the ATS.
August 1942
In convoy of 25 ships from Liverpool zig-zagging across the Atlantic. 4 weeks to Freetown, West Africa.  2 weeks to Cape Town, first time ashore.  3 days off. First banana since 1939.  2 more weeks to Suez Canal and Egypt. Nothing to do on arrival as all our transport had been sunk en-route.
November 1942
400 vehicle convoy to Iraq via Palestine, training and bridge building.
March 1943
3,200 mile trek through Libya to join the 8th Army against Rommel in Tunisia. In action for the first time since Dunkirk.
May 1943
Germans surrendered in North Africa.
June 1943
Contracted sciatica in right leg and transferred to a tented hospital in Ismailia next to Suez Canal. 8 weeks convalescence.
September 1943
Radio Operator’s course. Leave trips to Cairo. Corporal’s stripes.
December 1943
Drafted to Italy to rejoin 8th Army.
Set up wireless networks for Royal Engineers in support of Canadians.
June 1944
Liberation of Rome. Followed by 7 days leave in Rome with some old friends
Winter 1944
Moving slowly north through Italy and resting for Spring Offensive.
May 2nd 1945
Whilst manning the radio in the back of the Colonel’s jeep, heard a freak signal from the BBC and Winston Churchill announcing the end of the war. Celebrated with some drunk Gurkhas.
Summer 1945
Moved into Austria through bandit-infested Dolomites and was billeted in a farm. With nothing else to do, helped with the harvest.
August 1945
4 weeks leave. First time in the UK for three years.
September 1945
Back to Austria in time to be demobbed.
Roy passed away in January 2008 at the age of 92, which sounds like a long time to live.  But he was such a beautiful person that for those of us he has left behind it was far too short.  We miss him.
I’m Roy’s son, Ian, and I’ve put this site together to give Dad a wider audience for his war stories as he always enjoyed telling them.  I find it amazing that ordinary people could have gone through such an experience as a World War and come out of it as kind, gentle and caring people, as Roy and most of his generation did.  We need to hear the veteran’s stories to realise how precious life is and how easily it can be lost.   If you’d like to contact me, there is an e-mail link on the About page.